Released in November 2021, dot net 6 from Microsoft consolidates its plan to create a unified platform to develop applications for any device and operating system. The new version simply targets to simplify the development process and moreover, gains performance by bringing to life many new features of open-source, cross-platform development for all types of dot net projects.
What’s New in Asp dot net 6 and What Are the New Features?
Microsoft officially released the long-term stable version of dot net 6 on November 08, 2021. This latest version includes around ten thousand git commits. This is also the first-ever dot net version that natively supports Apple Silicon (macOS Arm64) and also provides support for Windows Arm64 Operating System.
The dot net 6 brings big-bet features along with massive gains in performance and optimization. Let’s have a look at a few of the other major features of this latest version of dot net.
Features of dot net 6
- Hot reload that allows viewing the changes in code in real-time without restarting the application.
- Moreover, provides Open Telemetry and dot net monitor support.
- WebAssembly AOT compilation for Blazor WebAssembly apps.
- Moreover provides HTTP/3 support.
- It improved performance across the board.
- Source generators and analyzers are also available.
- Moreover, it supports symbolic links in File IO.
- Above all, support for OpenSSL, the ChaCha20Poly1305 encryption scheme, and runtime defense-in-depth mitigations.
- C# 10 offers language improvements, F# 6 adds new features.
- Improvements of visual basics in the Visual Studio experience and Windows from project experience.
How to Build Better Apps With dot net 6?
The CodeStore team is attempting to explain to the readers the latest features of dot net 6 which can help your business. So let’s dive into it and know more about it.
Long Term Support (LTS) – 3 Years
- The new version is supported on major operating systems like Windows Arm64 and macOS Apple Silicon.
- Above all, this supports Visual Studio 2022 for Mac.
- The dot net 6 surpasses the former version dot net 5 in terms of performance improvements across the board and for file I/O, interface casting, PGO, and System.Text.Json in particular.
- The key areas in this updated version are the improved efficiency and speed of both JIT and AOT compilations. This decreases project execution time, improves latency time, and also optimizes memory usage.
- Microsoft has incorporated a source generator for System.Text.Json in dot net 6. This also avoids the need for reflection and code generation at the runtime.
- The new source generator comes with improvements such as an “industrial strength” serialization solution and more.
- A collection of tools, APIs, and SDKs that assists web developers in analyzing software performance and behavior.
- The dot net 6 brings improved support for OpenTelemetry through which apps can seamlessly interoperate with similar systems.
NuGet Package Validation:-
- This tool enables NuGet library developers to verify the consistency and working of their packages.
- This also helps in determining any breaking changes across package versions, the same set of public APIs for all runtime-specific implementations, and target-framework or runtime applicability gaps.
- Above all, improved self-contained deployments trimming.
- TrimMode=link, which was an opt-in feature in previous versions, is now enabled by default in dot net 6. It adds trimming of unused types and members too.
- A warning pops up whenever a trimmer is unable to understand the code pattern.
Writeable Documents Object Model (DOM):-
- The new DOM supplements the pre-existing read-only DOM. This new API provides a lightweight serialization for cases where old CLR object types are not desired.
- Moreover, facilitates efficient modification of a subset of a large JSON tree.
- The dot net 6 introduces the successor to the Crossgen tool that provides ahead-of-time (AOT) compilation.
- Moreover, this empowers to generate and optimize the code in a newer way.
- Supports minimal APIs that are introduced in dot net core to streamline the getting started experience and improve the performance of HTTP services.
- Reduces complexity by enabling developers to build a fully working web API application with minimal lines of code. Blazor components.
- An awesome feature that focuses on developers’ productivity. It enables them to modify the application’s source code while the application is still running.
- Collapses the time spent waiting for apps to rebuild, restart, or re-navigate to the same section where developers used to wait after making changes in a code.
- Suitable for various application types such as dot net core, Windows Forms (WinForms), dot net MAUI, Azure Functions, Blazor Console, WPF, WinUI 3, and others.
Unified Platform Support:-
- With the arrival of dot net 6, one can build applications and host them across all major platforms ranging from cloud, browser, desktop, IoT, and mobile apps.
- Being available for Windows, Linux, and macOS, It is a cross-platform framework that provides the ability to reuse code across all the applications to provide a unified view.
- The dot net multi-platform App UI is one of the exciting features of this release. Moreover, It serves as the cross-platform framework for creating native mobile and desktop apps with C# and XAML. And, by utilizing dot net MAUI, users can develop applications that can run on Android, iOS, iPadOS, macOS, and windows.
- Added preview support for runtime defense-in-depth two mitigations, “write exclusive execute” (W^X) and Control-flow Enforcement Technology (CET).
- It has significantly improved security for OpenSSL 3 and ChaChaPoly1305 authenticated encryption schemes.
Dynamic Profile Guided Optimization (PGO):-
- A native compilation technology where JIT compilers create more highly optimized code.
- The dot net 6 introduces dynamic PGO for improved performance by runtime information that can be used for greater throughput, speedier startup, and smaller binaries.
- System.Text.Json now supports serializing and deserializing of IAsyncEnumerable<T> instances.
- Asynchronous serialization lists any IAsyncEnumerable<T> instances in an object graph and then serializes them as JSON arrays. Though synchronous serializations methods do not support IAsyncEnumerable<T> serialization and result in a NotSupportedException.
- CA1416 platform compatibility analyzer identifies platform guards utilizing the methods.
- OperatingSystems/RuntimeInformation by OperatingSystem.Is Windows and OperatingSystem.Is Windows version at least.
- The dot net 6 introduces two new attributes – SupportedOSPlatformGuard and UnsupportedOSPlatformGuard to annotate fields, properties, or methods for custom platform guards.
- Includes preview support for the new version of HTTP – HTTP/3.
- The new version solves some existing functional and performance challenges by using a new underlying connection protocol called QUIC.
File IO Improvements:-
- System.IO.FileStrem has been completely rewritten in the latest version dot net 6. It provides better performance for all operating systems but majorly Windows.
- Moreover, it makes async operations allocation-free.
Target Framework Monikers (TFMs):-
- The dot net 6 TFMs provide access to each cross-platform API that dot net offers.
- Reliable option if you are writing a console application, asp dot net core apps, or reusable cross-platform libraries.
Date, Time, and Time Zone Improvements:-
- Two structs added in dot net 6 include System.DateOnly and System.TimeOnly. It represents the date part and time part of DateTime, respectively.
- DateOnly – Ideal for birthdays anniversaries and business days. TimeOnly – Useful for recurring meetings, alarm clocks, and weekly business hours.
Includes better accessibility for controls that sets default font across the application with Application.SetDefaultFont, template updates to support the new application bootstrap, and others.
- Above all, helps build the dot net SDK with just a few commands.
- It also enables IT companies like Red Hat to build their own version of SDK from a source and offer their own builds to their users.
- The new workloads of dot net 6 – NET MAUI and Blazor WebAssembly AOT workloads support new kinds of applications – Mobile and WebAssembly without enhancing the size of the SDK.
- This also allows developers to install only necessary SDKs.
The features and functionality would enable development teams from around the world to create enterprise-grade applications that are secure in every manner. As an experienced dot net web development company, our team of experienced dot net developers can use dot net 6 to help you in developing the most robust, user-centric applications that cater to your business needs – whether you are a startup, small business, or a large enterprise.
Moreover, our certified dot net developers show high-end technical competency and a unified strategic approach to build custom dot net-based solutions.
If you have any requirements, then contact us at: [email protected]